All organic-based solvents including white spirit,
solvent-based paints, solvent-based thinners and primers,
solvent-based wood treatment products as well as paint strippers
represent potential health hazards, and require that
particular precaution be taken both in use and in storage.
Here are some tips:
- Read the label carefully for information on safety and
- Solvents are highly flammable keep these paints
away from all sources of heat, and never expose directly
to an open flame.
- Store in cool, well-ventilated areas.
- Keep these products out of reach of pets and children.
- Dispose of rags properly rags soaked with oil-based
materials can ignite spontaneously if not spread out to
- Ensure good ventilation with open windows and doors.
- Wear protective equipment.
- Keep children and pets out of the painted area.
Water-based paints: a viable alternative to solvent
To a large extent, water-based paints pose fewer risks and
health hazards than solvent phase paints. Modern, high quality
water-based paints offer an excellent performance profile
superior durability and colour retention, excellent
washability, for example. They are also more convenient
to use low in odour, they dry quickly, and brushes
can be cleaned with warm, soapy water, with no need for
white spirit or turpentine. And of course they are more